Having pain. Starts with cold, pain starts in abdomen and moves to chest. Feel weak and fatigued

General Surgeon
Hello, every so often I've been having episodes of pain there generally the same but totally unpredictable, sometimes I will know its coming by getting really cold then the pain starts in my upper abdomen and moves into my chest and continues for a few hours. This occurs sometimes once a month or a couple times a week. After the pain has gone I fell very weak and fatigued and my chest feels sore. Any ideas on what kinds of things could cause this?
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 59 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by gallstones, stomach inflammation, peptic ulcer. Chest pain can be also a symptom of heart issues like an arrhythmia or ischemic heart disease.

If the symptoms are triggered by a meal, stomach or gallbladder are most probable.
Gallstones pain usually is present in the middle or upper right abdomen, radiates to the back, nausea is present. The pain is triggered by fatty foods or alcohol.

Stomach pain is localized in the upper middle abdomen. Can radiate to the chest. Appears 1-2 hours after a meal. Nausea is also present.

Heart pain can appear in the upper abdomen as well. Such pain is usually burning or squeezing like, radiates to the left arm or jaw. Shortness of breath, fear of death can appear.

If you pain is sharp and strong, aggravates when moving the chest, nerve pain is also possible. Such pain can be caused by nerve compression due to spine disc problem or local inflammation.

If the pain seems to be caused by stomach or gallstones issues, abdominal ultrasound and gastroscopy should be done.
If heart problem seems more probable, ECG, stress test and cardiologist consult should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having pain. Starts with cold, pain starts in abdomen and moves to chest. Feel weak and fatigued 23 minutes later
No nausea, never after a meal, I haven't found a common factor to when it happens. The pain is fairly moderate usually dull achy pressure. There are other times where there is chest pain more classic that has started to radiate to the jaw and elbow, and can be induced with physical activity but not near as severe of pain. There has been a colon removal due to uc. 12lead ECG has shown nothing of significance. High likely good of anemia with iron and/or b12 defencicy.
What could cause such things that wouldn't show on an ECG (yes I've been traine to interrupt) ha ha and I know better but have no ins. And possible odds that theres a lack of good hemoglobin to carry O2 or electrolyte imbalance causing the issue, vs something more "scary" i.e. cardiac problem?
Thanks for the help, I'm more so trying to bounce ideas off so I can jump straight to a real issue and not waste time with several visits.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 hours later
Well, low hemoglobin level can cause heart ischemic symptoms. Its because of too low oxygen level for the heart to work property.
It does not have to be serious cardiac problem. You are young person so heart ischemic problem should not occur at your age. However you may suffer from arrhythmia or ECG or stress test. Sometimes it is very hard to diagnose occasional arrhythmia. The best way to do that is 24 hours Holters ECG.
To diagnose valves problem, heart ultrasound needs to be done.
You may also try Magnesium 400 mg once a day supplementation. Try to avoid coffee and coke.

Hope this will help.