Having ovarian pain. Ultrasound and ct scan normal. Could it be ovarian cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hello
i am 41 year old and i have r ovarian pain since november.i had ct abd pelvis with iv contrast done about 3 wks ago,ultrasound (pelvis and transvaginal) abou 2 mo ago and it was normal.
I feel the pain all the time it gets worse when i press on my right ovary ,also i have r hip and front of my thigh pain .also my ovarian pain gets worse every month with ovulation .at that time is sharp after couple of days gets better but is there all the time .i really think this is ovarian cancer .the pain does not go away.Please help me what should i do ?
i really worry about it .is there a way the i have ca and they could not see it with ultrasound because is too small?
i have no other symptoms and i have no ca history in my family.6 years ago i had invitro.please help
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to your history and CT pelvis and abdomen there is very less chance for carcinoma of the ovary.
CT can usually pickup minute changes also.
And pain due to ovarian carcinoma usually won't vary with cyclical changes.
As you are having cyclical pain mainly during ovulation, the possibilities are:
-Pelvic inflammatory disease.
-Adhesions due to previous cesarean sections.
Pain due to dragging of adhesions can radiate to hip and thigh.
So you may go for diagnostic laparoscopy. Which can detect the possibility of adhesions or any other possible cause of pain. And at the same time any needed therapeutic intervention like releasing the adhesions etc. can also be carried out.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.