Having osteoarthritis in shoulders with pain radiating to back. Taking Motrin for pain, only momentary relief. Any permanent cure ?

I am a 59 year old female and have always been in excellent health. I take 1/2 a Prilosec daily for reflux and Zyrtec for seasonal allergies. For the last 90 days I've had varying degrees of pain that started 4 inches below my left arm pit and radiated to my back, below my shoulder blades, and now my left shoulder and arm are weakened. Also, my grip in my left hand isn't good. I drop everything I touch. I have osteoarthritis in my shoulders with occassional pain and in my hands, but that is nothing compared to the pain on the left side. It's a XXXXXXX pain that feels like my bones are crumbling. I've been taking Motrin and that helps some but the pain never completely goes away. On a scale of 10 the pain is about a 3 in the morning and is a 5 by bedtime. If I don't take the Motrin it's an 8. When I move at night sometimes my back cracks and about kills me. I don't have insurance at the moment ,but did go to the doctor who did chest xrays to rule out any pneumonia or pleurosy (I've had both, but that was over 20 years ago). The xrays were fine and so was the bloodwork. There is no history of RA, but my mother had osteoarthritis and calcium deposits on her spine.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
From your dscription, it seems that you are having a myofascial pain syndrome or inflammation of costochondral joints- costochondritis. Viral pleuritis or pneumonia are less likely. Nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord is also likely which is causing loss of grip strength.
You need to consult an orthopedician for a complete evaluation of your symptoms. Investigations like MRI and nerve conduction studies may be required.
Right now you can continue taking Motrin round the clock for symptomatic relief. Doing a hot fomentation and adding Methylcobalamin supplements will be helpful in taking care of the inflammation and nerve related symptoms.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.