Having orthostatic tachycardia and BP is low. Fatigued and groggy. Could I ask a doctor?

Excellent

Question
hello,
I'm feeling fatigued and groggy, having trouble determining if I should see my doctor.
I don't have thyroid, anemia or an infection but I do have orthostatic tachycardia and my blood pressure is low.
I'll attach a picture off my mum's bp monitor.

Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please, be calm ...these parameters seem okay

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank yo so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this fatigue and groggy feelings. I hope we get to figure out answers and address your concerns.

From the blood pressure reading off your mom BP monitor of 86/52mmHg with a pulse of 78, these values are relatively normal. Though they don't fall in the typical range of 120/80mHg in the general population, this is normal especially in slim people(what is your weight and height or BMI?). Your pulse is very normal and I cannot call tachycardia.

What I will suggest that you do is to take your blood pressure in the sitting and upright positions and upload so that I can see if there are any real concerns about the obtained values. Normally, when we move from the sitting to upright position, our heart beats faster and this is just a normal. Huge differences raise concern and I would want to see if this is the case with you.

For you feeling fatigued and groggy, it may be the different experiences in life. Ask yourself whether there is any stress in your life now that can explain this. If all is okay, then it may just be some of those low moments in life or something else that we are still to identify.

In all, this BP looks pretty normal for slim people. Take another BP in the upright and sitting position and report for analysis and comparison. You may simply report if uploading is time consuming. Examine your life and see whether there are any unsorted worries.
Hope to hear from you and thank you so much for using our services.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Having orthostatic tachycardia and BP is low. Fatigued and groggy. Could I ask a doctor? 24 minutes later
hi,

I've uploaded a picture to confirm my orthostatic tachycardia. I did that a couple of days ago, when I did the sitting and standing test, and that is my usual blood pressure.

That reading is not from today, but it's to show you that my hr increases when I stand up.

Yes, I am slim - under 55 kg.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for the follow up information.

Yes, I can officially confirm that there is and increased in your blood pressure and heart rate in the upright position. This difference is huge enough to raise concern.But, this would only be diagnostic of orthostatic tachycardia if it persists throughout standing. By this I mean if after standing for like an hour, this remains same, then it is very very concerning. However, if this changes just shortly after standing and drops to lower less concerning values later, then I would not arise any alarms.

What make it even ore strange is the fact that you don' report typical symptoms of this condition. Symptoms like dizziness, unable to work in an upright position, fainting, palpitations, etc

Your blood pressure is normal. From all the information I have gathered already, it is normal.

I hope this helps. Next step is to take this blood pressure like sitting, immediately standing up, 30 minutes and 1 hour after being in an upright position. Hope to hear from you and be patient with the further request for more information.

Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Having orthostatic tachycardia and BP is low. Fatigued and groggy. Could I ask a doctor? 6 minutes later
hi Doctor,

I do experience those symptoms: dizziness, unable to work in an upright position, fainting, palpitations, on a daily basis.

(I have already been diagnosed with orthostatic tachycardia for 3 months).

The rise in my hr is even higher than that in the picture on bad days.

I didn't mention these things because I was only worried about the drop in blood pressure. But it's good to hear it's normal.

Thank you for your answers :)

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up information.

I will suggest you follow up with your treating physician on the orthostatic tachycardia. I hope he gets to find solutions to your illness.

I am glad to know I was at least of some help to you today. If you have no more related questions, you may consider closing the discussion at this point. Please, write a short review to help us improve on the quality of our services to better serve you next time.
Thanks once more the the exciting exchanges on this.
Dr. Ditah, MD