Having open wound in groin area. Suggest a solution to heal it faster?

Open wound located in groin area (between thigh and genital area). How do I help heal it faster?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May need antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Open wound may not heal fast for many reasons like inadequate blood supply to the area, infection in the wound, etc.

Usually infection develops if the wound has been there for a few days. In such a case it needs debridement by a doctor (preferably a surgeon). Debridement also helps in increasing the blood supply. The wound can also be closed with stitches by primary or secondary intention by the physician. The treatment also depends on the cause of wound. If the wound developed in response to an infection in the blood, then you may also need oral antibiotics.

Other things that help are:
- warm temperature of the wound
- well-hydrated person
- enough pain-control
- good nutrition-eat fruits and vegetables

Also get your blood tests done for diabetes etc.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Having open wound in groin area. Suggest a solution to heal it faster? 1 hour later
It doesn't really hurt. It just hasn't closed. It started as a bump like a boil caused by friction from underwear use. Then over time, it just popped on its own. This has happened before and was advised to use erythromycin cream of only 2-5 percent and keep it clean and rebandage a few times a day.

It's been 3-4 days so far, and it seems to dry some days and then gets opened again I guess from walking or movements that make it rip open again.

Am I doing the right thing though so far?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it will take some time

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Yes you are doing the right thing. We can watch the wound for a few days with topical antibiotic medication. The pus in the wound needs to be taken out completely for it to heal. If you can see some pus-pocket, try to squeeze it out until clean blood comes out. If the process is painful for you, you can also take the help of a physician for it.

If it does not heal or it causes fever, then maybe you can visit a surgeon and take his help in treating the wound. At that time he may give oral antibiotics as well. If he sees that the wound does not have infection he may close it with some loose stitches.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Having open wound in groin area. Suggest a solution to heal it faster? 4 hours later
Hi, yes there is a bit of puss especially a couple of hours after applying the erythromycin cream. Is that a normal reaction? Does that mean the cream is working and the wound is healing?

The puss (light yellow green in color) is only on the surface and can easily be removed with cotton swabs. I tried squeezing to make sure all comes out but I was advised by my doctor before not to do that incase I squeeze to hard and skin tissue starts to get squeezed out too (also happened before). So I squeeze only a little just enough to see the wound is clean. It is no longer bleeding though.

And now I'm just covering it with cotton ball and medical tape so it doesn't get bumped or scratched by anything.

Again, am I still doing the right thing?

To recap:
Very little puss and only after erythromycin cream

No bleeding

Still open wound (sometimes looks like a hole)

Very mild pain and only when directly touched

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

You are doing it right till now. With your description I will also add one more advice to my previous advice:

If you see some pus, then I can advice you a protocol to clean the wound at home. Though it is better done by a physician but if you understand it well, you will be able to do it.

First clean the wound with normal saline
Then wash it with hydrogen peroxide solution that is meant for dressing and is available at pharmacies.
Then apply betadine solution ad keep it uncovered for some time for it to dry.
Then you can apply some erythromycin cream and cover with a band-aid to prevent the scratches.

You can repeat this protocol once a day if pus is bad or once in three days if the pus is not much and the wound is healing. This will help clear the pus and also help regenerating the new skin.

Let me know if you have any questions with the protocol. You can try this for 3 more days. If not better then see a doctor.

Dr Vaishalee