Having one nipple and crusting. Feeling painful and itchy. Treated with antibiotics, topical creams and steroids. Done with mastectomy. Treatment?

Oncologist, Surgical
For the last 5 months I have had one nipple and areola weeping, crusting. It is painful, very itchy.
I have been treated with multiple doses of antibiotics, topical creams and steroids but it still won't go away. Pathology has excluded pagets disease.Due aprevious diagnoses of cancer in both breasts I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and subsequently implants. I saw a breast surgeon who referred me to a dermatologist and then referred me to another dermatologist who then also got another one to look at me. Each says they don't know what is going on and shake their heads. Now I am shaking my jhead with pain, itching and sheer frustration.
Any ideas what could be causing this. All issued like, soaps, clothing etc have all been ruled out.
Many thanks for any advice
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 26 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The symptoms you are having can be explained due to two reasons. The more common one is eczema because it is involving both the breasts. This has to be differentiated from Paget's (which has already been done). The treatment for eczema is application of Steroid creams. This helps in regression of the symptoms. In addition to a biopsy to rule out cancer, you should also get a MRI to rule out cancer.

The other cause of your symptoms could be due to reaction to the silicone present in the implants. These symptoms can also occur if there is a small rupture of the implant, which can also be picked up on MRI.

You should consult your surgeon and schedule an MRI of the breasts as soon as possible. Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Rohan Khandelwal
Breast Surgeon
Follow-up: Having one nipple and crusting. Feeling painful and itchy. Treated with antibiotics, topical creams and steroids. Done with mastectomy. Treatment? 11 minutes later
It is only present on one breast. I had an MRI 4months ago that I was told all was okay.
Apart from taking Emycin (so far 129) am alos using Dermol cream (steroid) as well as taking steroid tablets.
Could a "pinhole" occur in the implant that would not show on a MRI and, if so, would it inflict this problem?
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 5 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Even a very small defect in the implant can lead to such symptoms and sometimes there symptoms improve after removal of the implants. You should schedule a repeat MRI to look for the implant status.

Hoping for the best.