Having one kidney smaller than the other. Taking antibiotic for urine infection. Worried for kidney condition

Dermatologist
Question
HI MY LEFT KIDNY IS SMALLER THAN RIGHT ONE IN URIN TEST 3 MONTS AGO THEY SAW A LITTLE PROTOIEN ANS 3 DAYS A GO A TRACE OF BLOOD AND INFECTION NIN URINE DR PUT ME IN ANTIBIUTIK AND SHE WILL ME SENT ME IN ANOTHRE ULTRASANT CALL RENAL ARTERY DOPPLER IS THAT LOOKS BAD AND I AM GOING LOST MY LEFT KIDNY OR TRHIS IS GOING TO TRADE
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later

Small kidney is not always concerning. It is sometimes found congenitally and in some cases acquired later. Chronic infection followed by scarring and contraction is one such acquired cause of small kidney.

Presence of protein and few traces of blood in urine suggest a possible infection. Therefore I suspect there could be some chronic infection following which there has been scarring and your kidney has contracted.

Don't worry. You are not going to lose your kidney. With antibiotics and probably with the help of steroids, as decided by your doctor, you will recover completely.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Wishing you good health...

Thank you