Having on and off diarrhoea. Not getting normal periods. Feeling exhausted and headache. Any ideas?

Hi, I have been having diarrhea on and off over the last 6 days. On the 3rd day I got my period. It's not a normal period and finished after 4 days. I'm feeling very exhausted and just as I felt I was getting better I got aches especially in my legs along with a heatache and hot flushes then chills. I have also been having cramps. This was also around the time my period is due. Please help thanks
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

You have diarrhoea and that was acute gastroenteritis. Thats probably due to an infection. Diarrhoea it self can lead to tiredness and exhaustion.

Since you developed an early periods, it led to further aggravation of your dehydration and exhaustion. Why early periods.? It is possible to have them early once in a while. Underlying illness sometimes can also precipitate..

Your cramps, exhaustion, hotflushes are al likely related to the Gastrointestinal Infection which led to diarrhoea. And the early periods have just agravated it.

You need to take adequate rest.
Take plenty of oral fluids, juices and oral rehdration solutions.
Also consider taking antibiotics if loose stools are persisting.

Do consult your doctor if symptoms persist.

Hope this answers your query.

Please ger back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran