Having on and off back problem. Found compressed upper spine, pain and numbness in shoulder. Any ideas?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had back problems on and off for the last ten years. Recently found out my upper spine is compressed and possibly Herniated discs in my back. The pain is horrible followed with nimbness in my legs, pain in my shoulders and numbness down arms and hands but now have a new symptom the last few days. I'm freezing can't seem to get warm. I've taken my temperature and I don't have a fever.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

You might suffering from Prolapsed intervertebral disc (PIVD) of cervical and lumbar spine.

Herniated disc cause pressure over nerve root and this cause pain, numbness and paresthesia in area supplied by that nerve root.

Your freezing symptom in extremity is not associated with PIVD. It seems due to Raynaud phenomenon.

Keep yourself warm and over the counter analgesics will help symptomatically.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back for further discussion on this.