Having oily face with pimples. Suggest some medication and diet plan?

Hi there,

Hope you are good. I have an oily face with pimples for quite a long time. (not acne). The oil secretion has increased recently.

Is there a diet or things I should avoid eating?
What kind of bathing soap do you suggest for this condition?
Are there any treatments to eradicate oily skin and pimples permanently and is it advicable?
I do not have any allergies not taking any medications.
I have had kidney stones 17 months ago and it has been treated.
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 16 hours later
I would be pleased to answer your question

There are no treatments to ERADICATE oily skin permanently.

You can use this over the counter regimen for acne that works quite well:

1. Use a salicylic acid face wash (e.g. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment) to wash your face, gently massaging it in for 1-2 minutes before washing off.

2. Clearasil Stayclear Tinted Acne Cream applied twice a day over the pimples. Be careful not to apply too much. There may be slight redness and flaking of skin, but this is normal. Do not apply on non pimply skin.

3. Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment Vanishing Cream: This can be applied safely over the entire face (barring around the eyes and mouth) once at night. Apply a think film, do not rub. This will prevent new pimples from coming and must be used daily for 2-3 months.

4. Omega three fatty acid capsules: Take one morning and evening after meals for 2-3 months.

5. An antioxidant containing beta carotene or lycopene taken twice a day daily for 12 weeks.

6. Lastly some general precautions - Do not pick or burst lesions, this causes scarring; do not touch your face unnecessarily; avoid hair oil application; limit sunlight exposure especially between 10 am & 4 pm.

7. A word on diet - though there is no conclusive evidence it is a good idea to cut down on very oily & sweet foods.

Hope this helps!
Thanks and take care