Having numbness and tingling sensation in upper left abdomen. What is causing this?

I occasionally have a numbness or tingling sensation in my upper left abdomen, just below or behind my lowest ribs in what I think would coincide with the spleen area, curious
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Paraesthesias in the upper left abdomen can be due to many reasons.

One possibility is due to the effect of the marijuana you use occassionally.

I also think of gastritis as a possibility since you are a smoker and use alcohol and marijuana occassionally. Though gastritis would present more with pain in the left upper abdomen than paraesthesias.

I would suggest you visit your gastroenterologist for a thorough examination.

In addition I would suggest that you get your Hemoglobin, thyroid function test ,serum calcium levels and Vit B12 levels checked. Hope this information was of some help to you..

In case you don't have any further queries ,kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan