Having numbness and tingling in arm. Attending strength training sessions. Dislocated shoulder many times. What else could it be?

I have numbness in my left arm ten or 15 times per day. The numbness and tingling last for about 20 seconds each time. Could it be nerve or artery damage? (I've been lifting weights vigorously twice a week for two months, being sure to rest for 3 days between strength training sessions. This strength training involves a lot of chin-ups and wide-grip lat pull-downs, and also reverse flys for the posterior deltoids, and lateral raises to shoulder level. Could I have hurt something?) There is no pain. I have dislocated this left shoulder about 25 times over the past 44 years, but I have always been able to put the humerus back into place. When I used to jog in the winter time, my left fingers were always colder than my right fingers. I hope this information helps to guess what is wrong.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

1. Based on your history of recurrent left shoulder dislocation, cold left fingers compared to right this is most likely due to variation in blood supply. Due to vigorous activity/dislocation there may be damage / reduced blood supply due to vascular compression in left upper limb.

2. There chances of nerve damage/ damaged nerve recovery or reduced blood supply to nerve (Tingling and numbness), damage to muscle and neuro vascular bundle due to dislocation though less likely cannot be excluded.

3. I would suggest that you get a doppler ultrasound to diagnose the vascular cause. Nerve conduction test and for recurrent dislocation X-ray / CT scan can help us determine the cause. Your physician can help you with these test.

4. You can try multivitamin and Pregabalin tablets for nerve protection/tingling and numbness.

5. Have adequate regular sleep, plenty of fluids, nutritious diet with required calorie. Get back with the reports for more discussion on management.
Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further management.

Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries or doubts and I shall be glad to help you out. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.