Having numb shoulders and arms, burning gums. Had knot in back extended to neck, Underlying cause?

Several months ago I had a knot in my back with tension and tight muscles. It then moved into my neck. I tried changing pillows; nothing helped. Now my shoulders and arms go numb within minutes of laying on my side to sleep and my left shoulder and arm contanstanly feel like they are "asleep". I couldn't even lift a gallon of milk to put it into the back of my car at the grocery store. This arm pain has been about a week or two. I also feel like my gums are burning.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
The shoulder is known as being the most mobile joint in the body and the large ranges of movement it can accomplish make it unstable and can result in various types of shoulder problems.Shoulder injuries are common because the ball component in the upper arm of the joint is bigger than the socket it is positioned in and also the shoulder socket is relatively shallow which makes this joint unstable. 
There are various tendons,ligaments and muscles which support the shoulder joint and they can become damaged because of various problems.
These problems could be due to 
Frozen shoulder
Rotator cuff disorders
Acromio- clavicular disorders etc.
Associated with these there can be various other disorders like diabetes,VIT B12 and FOLIC acid deficiency,iron deficiency,which might aggravate your your problem

You require a visit to your doctor or an orthopedician for physical examination,X- XXXXXXX shoulder,MRI shoulder joint and other relevant blood tests.

Burning in your gums could be due to gum inflammation like gingivitis or could be due to deficiency of VIT B12 or FOLIC ACID etc.
A visit to your dentist should enable you to reach to the cause for it,

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck