Having nostril blocked and yellowish discharge. Prescribed antibiotic but no help. Advise?

ENT Specialist
Question
hello... I am having one nostril blocked since 2 weeks and yellowish discharge is coming from one side only. I went to local doctor where he prescribed me Antibiotic and pain killer. I used it for 3 days but still condition remains the same.please advice.
2 weeks ago I had used a nasal spray for few days.after that I had started yellowish discharge coming out from my left nostril.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Request your doctor to add an anti-allergic, mucolytic and decongestant medication. Three days of medication may not be sufficient and hence complete the course of the antibiotics. If there is no pain, the pain killer may help reduce the inflammation. Which nasal spray did you use?

2. Is the discharge foul smelling? Get a swab sent for bacterial culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

3. If the discharge persists, get a video nasal endoscopy done. Other causes such as a nasal obstruction, polyp, growth, foreign body, fungal infections and so on which must be excluded. A plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) may help to pin-point the source.

4. You may upload the scan images, endoscopy video and culture reports for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having nostril blocked and yellowish discharge. Prescribed antibiotic but no help. Advise? 38 minutes later
Sir currently i m taking Amoxicillin & clavulanate potassium usp 625mg +mucolyte+diclofenac sodium 50mg precribed by local gp.

15 days ago i took steroid nasal spray for 1 week in my both nostrils.
I am having dust allergy and sinusites problem since childhood.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Get an anti-histamine medication (such as cetrizine) added to your current treatment.

2. Later you may get an anti-leukotriene (such as montelukast) included and resume the nasal spray. Regular steam inhalation will help.

3. There is no cure for allergy, however it may be controlled with these medications.

4. Follow the instructions in my previous answer.

Regards.