Having nose and throat problem. Controlled while on medicine. Any permanent cure?

ENT Specialist
I have been facing some problems with nose & throat since February. I used to stay in a campus which was full of trees & bushes. I used to sneez a lot in the morning & whnever I would get out or enter into an AC room. I was not able to smell even a deodrant sprayed right in front of my nose. ENT specialist told me,it was due to pollants present on the campus. He gave me a nasal spray & some tablets. As long as I was the medicines, I was fine but as soon as I stopped using, I started sneezing again. I am in bangalore right now & facing this problem again.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 18 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma. On the basis of information provided it appears that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis. Ther history itself is suggestive of the diagnosis. You have been using nasal sprays and reports improvement in the symptoms.
The treatment of allergic rhinitis constitutes
1. Avoid allergen exposure
2. Antiallergics - Tablets and sprays
3. Corticosteroids - Tablets and Nasal sprays
4. Decongestants - tablets and nasal sprays
5. Mast cell stabilizers - For prophylaxis
5. Immunotherapy - Systemic desensitization
6. Surgery - Submucosal diathermy, Vidian neurectomy

The treatment is based on the severity of symptoms. It involves starting with a antiallergic and nasal deongestant nasal spray if it works fine otherwise we have to move on next step and so on.
You are presently

As you have reported relief in symptoms with the medications I would advise you to stick to it and think about prophylaxis and avoiding allergen ( using mask while going out of house. If you are not relieved by these medications then treatement can be stepped up by adding corticosteroids (sprays or tablets)

About inability to smell I have to say that
1. It can be a part of allergic rhinitis
2. If anosmia (inability to smell) is so sever I would advise you to plan a CT scan of Paranasal sinuses. There is a possibility of hypertrophy of turbinates or nasal polyps contributing to obstruction in nasal cavity and thus causing conductive anosmia (air is not reaching in upper part of nose where nerve fibres for olfaction are present). If it is so the obstruction can be relieved by surgery

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you want further information about it
With regards
Ravinder Sharma
Professor ENT & Head and Neck Surgery