Having no periods since delivery. Is this normal?

Mar 2016

Hi Doc, I am 32 year old and a mother of 4 month baby this is my first baby I have not got my periods since delivery . Is it matter of concern ? Can i have unprotected sex till my period as i will not be pregnant before periods ? Kindly suggest a suitable means of sort term family planning as we want minimum three years gap .
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) If you are on EXCLUSIVE BREAST FEEDING after delivery of baby, then you don't get your period naturally. It is quite normal and physiological phenomena. It is called LACTATIONAL AMENORRHEA in medical term. Therefore, you wouldn't be worried regarding this. 2) During EXCLUSIVE breast feeding for first 6 month, you can do unprotected sex and you will get more than 98% protection against unwanted pregnancy as there is no ovulation. Otherwise, you have to take low dose progesterone only pill (like CERAZETTE) for extra protection. It is taken for 28 days continuously. 3) For short term family planning or 3 years gaping, best contraceptive method is Intrauterine Device (IUD) like Copper-T 200 (4 years), Multiload-375 (5 years) or Levonorgetrel IUS - MIRENA (5 years). They are easy to insert and don't have any pill side effect. Return of fertility is also fast by just removing the IUD. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist for best contraceptive method which is suitable for you after clinical evaluation. Hope it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW