Having nipple discharge and soreness and have had amenorrhea. Suggest?

Hi, I am having nipple discharge and soreness and have had amenhorreah (sp?) for three months.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 minutes later
Nipple discharge can be of many types and seriousness ofthe problem will depend on various factors including examination. In your case if there is milky discharge and menstrual irregularities i would advise you to have blood tests for serum prolactin . It's a hormonal problem where high prolactin causes menstrual problems. Do see your doctor and get the test done . If it's confirmed then medicines will have to be started Hhowever if there is a chance of pregnancy get a test first .
Follow-up: Having nipple discharge and soreness and have had amenorrhea. Suggest? 9 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX
I have already had a test for serum prolactin a week and a half ago and it came back normal. Can this be a symptom of early pregnancy? My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant. I took a HPT but it came back negative, could it be too early to get a positive result yet still have some symptoms of pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
If you haven't had menses in 3mths then a pregnancy test should have been positive by now if you were pregnant . If your prolactin is normal then get a complete hormone profile done . The cause of the delayed period is mostly hormonal . An ultrasound to rule out pcos . Do remember that stress is a major contrbutant to hormonal imbalance.