Having nipple discharge. Had breast/under arm examination, all normal. Taking cerazette. Worried ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been experiencing a tiny amount of nipple discharge on my bed sheet. It is around the size of a small coin and looks pale pink/light brown in colour. This has happened once a week (???) for the last 3 weeks. I have visited the doctor who gave me a fill breast / under arm examination and said that their was nothing sinister ie. other symptons and that it was probably nothing to worry about. I also had a full private medical assesment in March blood tests and breast examination which were all clear. I feel well in myself but feel slightly anxious about this happening. I am taking the contraceptive pill cerazette and am wondering whether to have a break from this?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later

A brownish discharge from the nipple of only one breast after 35 years of age is not something to be ignored. Even if there is no palpable lump, still investigations like mammography are advisable to rule out any breast related pathology.

Taking contraceptive pill Cerazette does produce hormonal changes but is not likely to cause a brownish discharge from the nipple.

Routine blood tests are not likely to detect a change in breast parenchyma.

My advise would be to request your physician for a mammography to detect any possible pathology early.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Having nipple discharge. Had breast/under arm examination, all normal. Taking cerazette. Worried ? 36 minutes later
Thank you for your speedy response. The discharge is a tiny amount, does this have any bearing? Also apart from it being pathalogical could it be physilogical ie. Harmless? I do however intend to get it checked out.

Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The chances of such a discharge being physiological are less. Further investigations are definitely recommended. Even if the discharge is minor, it must be investigated and should not be taken lightly as the discharge is blood stained.
Hope my answer is helpful.