Ask a Dentist   »  

Having night sweats, pain under rib cage and left arm after removing infected tooth. Why?

I had a infected tooth pulled 3 weeks ago and now the last 4 days I have bad night sweats chills during the day and got a pain under rib cage under left arm. I'm am male 38 years old 5 foot 11 265 pounds
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is not related with the extracted tooth.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,

Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum,

As you have mentioned your infected tooth was removed 3 weeks ago, i would like to tell you that healing of the extraction socket occurs in 2-3 weeks whereas complete wound healing requires three months. Pain, swelling at the region of extraction, nausea, dizziness, sometimes abdominal upset, diarrhea are the most common complication after extraction which remain for sometimes and afterwards subside by its own.

The above mentioned symptoms of night sweats, chills, pain under the rib cage have no relation with the removal of your infected tooth this could be related to other conditions like GIT disturbance, Pulmonary problem, muscle spasm, use of certain medications or presence of infections, any trauma or injury to the rib cage.

A thorough clinical examination and evaluation by the PHYSICIAN is required, i would suggest you to get the checkup done for the approprriate diagnosis and treatment plan.

Hope you find this as informative and helpful,

If you have future queries, i will be glad to address!

Take care!
Dr Qazi Ammara.
Follow-up: Having night sweats, pain under rib cage and left arm after removing infected tooth. Why? 6 hours later
The tooth they pulled was infected bad. It is still draining after 3 weeks the taste is nasty. My antibioti ran out about 9 days ago.c
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation is advised...

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!

If the tooth is draining after three weeks, it means it is infected this could be due to presence of any broken root piece in the socket.
A course of antibiotics and analgesics should be taken.

Take an x-ray of the region, if there is presence of any broken root piece it has to be removed the socket is to be curetted and gargled with lukewarm saline.
I would suggest you to consult an Oral Surgeon regarding this.

At home take antiseptic mouthwash and lukewarm saline gargles.

Hope you find this as helpful,

Dr Qazi Ammara.