Having neuro symptoms and irregular hormones and palpitations. Advised Lyme test. What are the findings?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I have many neuro symptoms and irregular hormones and palpatations so my neurologist ordered me a lyme test and i also ordered. The igenix lyme test. My neuro hasnt called me back on it but my naturalpath did and here are the results. Nelow. Please tell me if this means a current or past infection or nothing.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
means recent exposure to lyme disease bacteria

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query. this report means recent exposure to Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacteria causing Lyme's disease (since IgM is Positive) according to Igenex standards, but negative according to CDC standards (which are much stricter). However, the results have to be correlated clinically, and if symptoms of Lyme's disease are present, they have to be treated.

I would suggest you to consult your Neurologist with these reports for the management of the same.

Hope I've been able to satisfy your query.

Please feel free to contact me for any further clarifications.

best of luck,
Dr. Sourav.

Follow-up: Having neuro symptoms and irregular hormones and palpitations. Advised Lyme test. What are the findings? 4 hours later
How recent of exposure are we talking about and how long does this take to be positive under cdc standards.

Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
CDC may not be positive, repeat after 2 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

IgM antibodies take about 1- 2 weeks to form, and may persist for a few weeks to month. So, it appears that the exposure must have happened within the period
of a few weeks to month. Locating a more precise date or point of infection may not be possible.

It is not necessary that it becomes positive under CDC standards. However, your report is sufficient to initiate treatment if the symptoms and clinical findings are corroborative and at the discretion of your treating neurologist.

However, I would suggest you to repeat the test after about 2-3 weeks, which may give a somewhat clearer picture (like IgG may turn positive if the infection is truly there.

Hope I've been able to satisfy your query. Please feel free to contact me for any further clarifications.
Best of luck.
Dr. Sourav.

Follow-up: Having neuro symptoms and irregular hormones and palpitations. Advised Lyme test. What are the findings? 7 hours later
Thankyou,
Would this just indicate lyme infection or could be something else? I dont remember being bit by a tick. No rash at all. For 6 years ive had so many symptoms and my neuro found lesions on my brain. Ive been so dizzy and just dont feel right. Recent blood work points to anemia( iron) but i eat lots of meat and greens. Something weird is going on inside me!

Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
20 % Lyme's disease do not report rash/ tick bite

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

Around 20% of Lyme's disease cases do not report a tick bite or rash. In fact, those cases are very commonly misdiagnosed as something else.

However, your test results may also be false positive due to some viral or non pathogenic bacterial infection, which produces an immune response by the body, mimicking the same for lyme's disease.

I would request you not to worry so much, and to repeat the test after 2- 3 weeks. If infection is present, the picture will get much clearer at that time. Moreover, please get in touch with your Neurologist at the earliest to discuss your symptoms and corroborate the test results. If needed, he may initiate treatment with standard antibiotics for the same.

your anemia may be unrelated to the current test results. You may go for a routine and occult blood in stool examination to find out the cause of anemia (like hookworm infection etc.).

Hope I've been able to satisfy your query. If there are no more queries, please close the discussion and rate the same.
Thank you,
Dr. Sourav.