Having neck pain, throat infection and headache. Suggest tests that I should undergo? What are the symptoms of throat cancer?

I am having neck paiin, throat infection and head ache. I am worried if its a Throat cancer or neck cancer. Can you please let me know if some tests I need to consider? Or what are the symptoms of throat/neck cancer which I can identify and try to identify.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not worry,visit your family doctor

Detailed Answer:

I am wondering why you think in first place that you have cancer.

The symptoms that have neck pain,cold,headache mostly points towards some upper respiratory tract infection. You have already consulted ENT surgeon and an ophthalmologist,in such case I not see any reason to worry.

Still if you want to go for some tests please visit your like complete blood counts and X XXXXXXX of Sinus etc. if needed.

Please take good food,avoid cold drinks and fried foods.Take medicines as advised and you should be fine.

Just for your information,there are no specific symptoms which directly points towards cancer,but still

Non healing ulcer in mouth or throat
Swelling in neck not responding to treatment
Weight loss
Difficulty in swallowing food,not getting relieved by medication etc.

these are some of the suspicious sings that could tell your doctor to look for more.

I once again would like advice you that please stop worrying and visit your family doctor who knows you well, and he will take care of your anxiety and problem both.

Wishing you a good health.

Follow-up: Having neck pain, throat infection and headache. Suggest tests that I should undergo? What are the symptoms of throat cancer? 21 minutes later
Thanks Doctor.

The first reason for me to consider its a cancer is for last 6 years I smoke and recently about 3 months before I quit smoke and drinking. One of my close friend of my age is recently affected by Throat Cancer (Tumor) and he is undergoing treatment for lat 5 months in Apollo.

In my case, I had heavy cold and ENT doctor suggested me some medication and it healed. Recently I had a trip outside and when I am back again the problem started with headache, throat infection, neck pain exactly near left throat and ear block (exactly in left ear)

Since everything is pointing to left side, I am bit worried if something suspicious is going in my throat. When I take hot water and have steam inhale everything looks normal and after some time I get back the problem. I searched online and I came across the symptoms of Throat cancer and came to know Neck Pain, Heac ache are some of the symptoms again for cancer so I was worried and thought to check with a online consultant.

Also in the same left neck i feel something is pinching regularly which when I take a steam inhale and hot water is getting reduced and comes back after some time.

When I visited my ENT specialist I stated clearly that I suspect a throat cancer and I quit smoking. But he suggested me to take the medication he subscribed for a week and it went on well. But again now I see some disturbance in my throat and neck. Also I took a Root canal treatment in the same left side 6th teeth downside which again I feel back thinking if the problem is because of that.

If there is any test / diagnostic treatment to check if there is throat cancer or neck cancer I am ready to undergo that which will relieve me from all the unwanted disturbances and do my day to day works. I am not able to concentrate on any of the other things.

Please suggest me something sir
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discuss with your doctor and go for investigations

Detailed Answer:

Good to hear from you again.

First of all congratulations that you have quit smoking, a very well taken step.Only persons will strong will power can do this.

I can appreciate your concern. The details that you have narrated fits in infection cause.

The pain could be due infection in that area may be due to cough,cold or dental problem that you had.

At times recurrence of same infection or fresh episode can come back fast.

Still,if you are so much worried,as advised visit your primary care doctor and discuss your apprehension with him.

If he get convenience he will ask for some blood tests,X XXXXXXX of Chest and X XXXXXXX of Sinuses which can definitely be helpful.

Further special investigations like CT Scan etc are advised based on this preliminary investigations.

Please remember,fear is one thing,but every yellow eye can not be jaundice,like wise everybody having pain in left side of neck and smoking need not to have cancer.

I hope this helps,

Follow-up: Having neck pain, throat infection and headache. Suggest tests that I should undergo? What are the symptoms of throat cancer? 2 hours later
Thanks doctor for your explanation. I will consult my primary physician and get these tests taken. One final question is on my health diet, I have been a smoker, drinker and Non Veg eater. Now I completely left all the 3 habits for last 3 months and decided to do that till the end of my life.

Can you just give me an approach or a proper diet plan so that I can continue to follow that and have a healthy life. Since now I am a pure vegetarian I want to know what I can eat and what I should not to have a proper health life.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Brief Answer:
Detail plan discussed below.

Detailed Answer:

I am happy to learn that at least I can address your concern.

Really your pledge not to eat non veg,never to smoke and avoid drinking is really appreciable.You can do a social service,please help others to get rid of this by sharing your experience.

Coming to your point:
1.Take 3-4 small meals in a day.Take good healthy breakfast in morning.It can have fruits,salads,sporuted items like chana,moong etc. with milk or fruit juice.
2.Take regular lunch on time,not late in afternoon.Have good food with vegetables,dal,roti etc.
3.In the afternoon have a cup of tea or coffee with couple of biscuits etc.
4.Have light dinner.

In general have good portion of fruits and vegetable in your daily routine,avoid junk food to the extent possible.

Do regular exercise about 30-40 minutes in a day.Take proper sleep about 6-7 hours in a day.

This will help to stay fit and healthy.