Having neck pain, stenosis and balance problem. Should I visit ER?

Dec 2012

Hi, I am wondering if I need to go to the ER. I've been having some balance problems like an unsteadiness and neck pain similar to a sore neck this last week. They did a carotid doppler on me last week since they noticed a carotid bruit on me, but it ended up being a stenosis in my vertebral artery.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 42 minutes later

Thanks for posting,
After reading through your post, I could thinnk of only two problems that could cause that, an ENT disorder and the stenosis which could lead to low blood perfusion into the brain and hence problem of balance.
The vestibulocochlear system (part of the ENT system) is responsible for balance and if it is affected by either an infection or a tumor could result to a problem of balance. An ENT specialist will have to take a look at your problem. Antivertigo medication might be required.
A cardiologist or an internist could investigate further into your stenosis and find out it requires correction before it can result to a serious complication.

Hope this was helpful and let me know if you got further questions
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Having neck pain, stenosis and balance problem. Should I visit ER? 12 minutes later
In terms of the vertebral stenosis, what could have caused that? I had a carotid dopler done in october 2011 and everything came up clean. The only other thing I can think of is my blood pressure is chronically above normal (135-145/80-90) for the last 6 months despite exercise, increased potassium, decreased sodium intake.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 11 minutes later
Thanks for updating,
Most vascular stenosis do not usually have a readily identifiable cause except for the fact that they are found and usually blood vessel is thickened and narrowed abnormally OR lets just say that the medical researchers have not yet found a clear cut cause for this. But they closely correlate with underlying cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension. Chronic hypertension could be an issue that will require further management besides only lifestyle changes like you have been doing. But the figures you presented even though not problematic but are chronic and you will probably need to have antiHBP medicine to lower it further.
I suggest you see an ENT specialist after seeing a cardiologist (i.e if cardiologist decides to refer to one).
Hope this helps
Dr Nsah