Having neck pain and back pain. Burning sensation in foot. X-ray done. Looking for suggestion

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Dear Doctor,

I am 53 years old working as a Secretary in a Fertilizer factory. I want your kind advise on gallbladder stone . I have been suffering from neck pain along with mild upper back & lower back pain for the last 6 to 7 months.

While taking X-ray of cervical spine /spine to analysis the cause of pain, the radiologist reported that ' an opacity of 9.5 mm size is seen in the pelvis on the right side and recommended for Ultrasound of KUB region and doubt lower ureteric calculus/faecolith/clacified node. Then I got done U/S of whole Abdomen & Pelvis and diagnosed multiple calculi in Gallbladder ( largest one measure about 1.46 cm).

I have no pain in right and upper side of abdomen and only simple complaints like acidity, indigestion, gas formation, bloating sensation after heavy meals usually in the evening time and some times constipation and light pain in the pelvis region. Physician at Shahjahanpur not recommended surgery to remove gallbladder at present as there is no on and off episodes of severe pain in right upperside of abdomen and the gall stones are silent and asymptomatic. Physician's approach is wait and see and recommends surgery only in case of severe pain. So I have not contacted a surgeon yet.

Kindly let me have your opinion on
1)     Whether the complaints like acidity, indigestion, gas formation, bloating sensation after heavy meals are not symptoms of gallbladder stones/ disease.
2)     Whether immediate surgery for removal of gallbladder is required or not.
3)     If the gallbladder is not removed immediately, whether there is any risk of gallbladder cancer and any other diseases of pancreas or liver.
4)     What are the precautions to be taken to avoid further growth of stones in the gallbladder.

Other medical problems
In addition to above, I have been suffering from burning sensation in the sole of both feets for the last one year for which I am taking B-complex tablets now and then, but of no use. There is also heaviness in my both legs.

My Fasting blood glucose level is fluctuating between 100 to 131 during the last one year. Values of last three months are 129, 142, 135. I am not taking any medicine for Sugar control except diet control and exercise. As per Doctors advise I am taking Envas- 5 mg for blood pressure and BP is under control 120/80. It usually goes to 140/90 without medicine.

Kindly go through my above , my back ground and Xray/US reports attached and advise me. I am also grateful to you if you could kindly suggest medicine for my digestive problems also, in addition to gallbladder stone remedies.

With regards,

Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query

It is good you are concerned about your health

I have gone through your history and reports, here is what I would advise if you are my patient :

1] Yes these can be symptoms of Gall Stone, though there is no cholecystitis dyspepsia is a pointer to gall stone diagnosis

2] No immediate surgery - but yes a planned one would be better and do not wait for the pain to occur - Laparoscopy is easy & safe for the patient

3] Though chance is not imminent - it cas cause obstructive jaundice and pancreatitis if it gets obstructed in common bile duct and inflammation with its complications is another risk

4] Once gall bladder is removed the stones can not reoccur yet avoid fat free diet and fermented meals

Regarding your spine it it better you XXXXXXX a good orthopaedic surgeon in your area

Yet for root pains like burning in your feet I would recommend Gabapantine in place of B-Complex

Hope this helps
Am Available for followup queries
Wishing you a Speedy recovery
Follow-up: Having neck pain and back pain. Burning sensation in foot. X-ray done. Looking for suggestion 20 hours later

Dear Doctor,

Thanks for immediate reply and advice. As per your advice I am planning for surgery to remove gall bladder in the next few months. In the mean time, I want to rule out any digestive/gastrointestinal diseases as I am suffering from Indigestion, constipation, heart burn , gas & acidity etc. for the last 8 to 10 months. some times also feel fullness of stomach even after taking less food. Is it GERD or any other disease? Normally heart burning and acidity happens in the night hrs after dinner and usually wake up in night with heartburn and acidity. This happens two/three times in a week. Some times also feel dry mouth in the night. I used to take medicine 'Digine antacid' at that time to sustain acidity and it works most of the time. However, there is no acidity or heart burning in the morning after break fast and it happens some times after lunch , only if it is a heavy diet.
I had also taken tablets like Pantoprazole plus Domperidone continuously for more than 10 days 3 to 4 times during the above period alongwith liver tonic Livomyin as per advise of Doctor. I had also taken digestive enzyme tablet for a week. Kindly let me have your opinion whether I continue with above medicines or you may kindly recommend some other medicines. Above medicines gave some relief.
Kindly also advise for tests if any to be conducted, if necessary, to rule out any digestive / gastrointestinal diseases and medicines if any to be taken and diet control.
You have mentioned in your reply to take Gabapantine in place of B-Complex tablet for burning feet. Kindly inform dosage and time period to take this medicine.
I shall be thankful to you for an immediate reply and advice.
With regards,

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 25 hours later

I have gone through your complains and I feel you should go for an upper GI endoscopy to rule our GERD Etc

Continue with pantoprazole and domperidone once a day before breakfast till you get operated

Gabapantine is 600mg twice a day

Take bland diet avoid junk and fermented meals

Hope this helps
Revert back if you need any clarification
Get well soon