Having neck pain. Taking antibiotic for swollen lymph node. Noticed red, itchy and swollen eyebrow.

Question
Hello Doctor, I woke up Sunday with a neck pain and I thought it was I slept on the wrong side with my neck but I started touching my neck and face I notice a small ball in front of my ear between the jawline and the ear is an inside ball so I can only feel it if I touch it, it is very painful when i touch that area, is painful on the back of the ear and when I open my mouth the jawline hurts too. I went to an otolaryngologist Monday and he said it was a lymph node swollen so he gave me antibiotic and ibuprofen, he said if it gets worst or bigger to call him. On Monday I also notice in addition to the ball in front of my ear, I had a red little dot itchy on my eyebrow so I did not pay any attention. It became bigger on Tuesday and then today Wednesday is very red, itchy and part of my eye brow is swollen. I attach a photo of my eyebrow I took today so you can see. I called the doctor today and the receptionist said he can see me Friday morning, I am a very healthy person, healthy life style I don't drink, smoke, do drugs and eat very healthy, exercise 3-4 times a week and I have never really had any health issues, this is the first time that I am worried crying and I am not sure if I should wait until Friday... what if it gets worst? The ball in front of my ear is getting bigger, I felt it today, should I go to the ER? see another doctor tomorrow? I don't know what to do. I have waited 4 days since Sunday and it has not gotten any better and I am taking anticiotics since Monday and Ibuprofen. Please help me. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Two possibilities are there for such symptoms. These include:

1)     Insect bite with the swelling in front of ears due to swollen lymph node in response to the insect bite.

2)     Second possibility is of parotid gland infection which can be due to mumps or parotitis due to bacterial or viral causes.

Wash the area with some antiseptic lotion or soap. Use cold water but avoid the use of warm or hot water as this may tend to stimulate itch. Secondly, apply a cold pack over the site to reduce swelling. Also do not scratch the inflamed area as this may lead to open wounds and secondary infections.

You may apply a mild steroid cream and take OTC anthistaminics for the itching after consulting your doctor. Application of calamine lotion also helps. You may need a course of antibiotics if the cause is suspected to be bacterial parotitis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Having neck pain. Taking antibiotic for swollen lymph node. Noticed red, itchy and swollen eyebrow. 9 hours later
Thank you Dr. I am taking an antibiotic called Bioxin (Clarithrmycin ER 500 mg) 2 tablets a day and Ibuprofen 600 mg per day as the doctor on Monday prescribed. Should I go back to the doctor tomorrow or just wait and see? Thank you for your expertise and help.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Bioxin is an antibiotic and if it is bacterial parotitis it should respond to the antibiotic. Moreover if it is swollen lymph node, it should regress in size after antibiotics and anti inflammatories. You should take the medicines as prescribed.

Follow-up: Having neck pain. Taking antibiotic for swollen lymph node. Noticed red, itchy and swollen eyebrow. 18 hours later
Thank you Dr. my eye is swollen and worst than before now the eyelid is swollen and is very itchy on my eyebrow. I can open my eyelid with difficulty. The Doctor I went to and gave me the antibiotics said it will be better in 3 days, it has been 2 days and is getting bigger the swelling. I am not sure because he said it was an insect bite and that it should help the antibiotics he gave me but he did not do any tests to see if something bite me, I ask him I said I wanted to know if a spider bite me, if it was poisonous etc and he said it was not necessary, to take the antibiotic and wait. My pain has reduced a lot now on the lymph node area it only hurts if I put pressure on the little ball I have there. There is a lot of itching on the eyebrow but I am not scratching it and a little pain in my forehead and eyebrow area. Should I go back to the doctor or just go to the hospital were they can do exams and biopsies or wait? It has been now 1 week since the ball came out and 3 days since my eyebrow is swelling. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The presentation appears to be typical as in an insect bite. It would be nearly impossible to identify which insect has bitten you.

The swelling in eye and surrounding part is probably due to the bite itself. It does present this way for some time in most cases of bites.

There would be no need for any investigation at this point, with the antibiotic on you may have to be started on an antihistaminic medication which reduces the immune response to the insect bite and reduce the swelling in the eye and the neck.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.