Having neck and muscle spasm, headaches and blurry vision. Tingling and numbness. On ritalin and valdoxan

Hi, I have tight neck and muscle spasms, I have headaches, and I see things blurry at times. Visual snow. I have quit drinking alcohol, bc I was getting lots of tingling and numbness, weakness, still getting that in feet, arms. Lymph nodes seem tender, painful. I take ritalin to study, 30mg a day. And Valdoxan, but I feel depressed often, ritalin enables me to focus on getting things done, but could it be causing this, or is it just alcohol brain damage? I have bouts nausea and irregular bowels. I'm fit, running 5-8 km several times a week, and often feel tight in chest. Dizziness and confusion sometimes make me think I may have diabetes?? I urinate all the time, but I had a urine test for this, I think. Should I get another? A neurological test?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Tight neck and muscle spasm, tingling and numbness can be indicators of cervical spondylosis despite your active physical exercise. Though you do regular exercise you need to ensure that you do not overdo them.

You mentioned about alcohol brain damage but you did not mention about the quantity consumed by you.

Urine test for diabetes is only a screening test. If diabetes mellitus is suspected then a blood sugar fasting and post-meal needs to be done or better still get a glucose tolerance test done.

With all the complaints mentioned by you a complete physical examination including a neurological examination will certainly be better. The physical examination will include examination of the painful lymph nodes that you are mentioning. An examination by a psychologist will assess your depression and suitable remedial actions for it.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal