Having neck ache. Feeling like rice grains around. Should I be serious?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I had a neck ache the moment i woke up this morning and I tried to feel my neck and realised the right side of my neck feels slightly more wobbly than the left when pressed hard onto it. It feels like a few little rice grain that can move around and when pressed onto it, I will feel some pain/ache. Is this normal as I dun really feel it on the left side of my neck. May I know what is the cause of that or if there's anything of serious concern.. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be a soft tissue strain

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your description, I feel that the pain or ache in your neck could be due to muscle spasm in the paravertebral region owing to odd position of your neck placement during sleep.

I don't think any seriousness with this issue as it has developed overnight. Also, the subcutneous fat globules present under the skin could be giving you a feel of rice grains.

* Ice pack the involved area once in 2 hours
* Local application of a pain killer gel
* Use moist heat fomentation to relax the soft tissues

Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help for any clarifications.

Follow-up: Having neck ache. Feeling like rice grains around. Should I be serious? 14 hours later
Thanks for the prompt reply! Just wanna check if its normal for that rice grain(slightly bigger) rubbery feeling to be still there even when my neck ache is getting slightly better? When i press hard onto it that one or two rubbery feeling feels as though its running around my fingers.. And why dont i feel it on my left side? Dun they have to be symmetrical? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get an Ultrasound examination done

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

It's only my assumption that they could be fat globules. A detailed clinical examination as well as appropriate investigations like Ultrasound examination or MRI scan of the involved area will diagnose them exactly.

If you are worried and concerned, Please consult your family physician for a detailed workup and management.

Good day