Having nausea, tingling sensation hand and periodic spasmodic pains in chest after meal. Would Mylanta help?

Question
Good evening, I had a meal about three to four hours ago and am currently experiencing slight nausea, a tingling sensation that comes and goes in the distal portion of my left arm and hand, and periodic, spasmodic sharp stabbing pains in the left side of my chest. Would Mylanta help alleviate these symptoms?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

After analyzing your symptoms, considering your age and risk factors the possibility of myocardial infarction/ ANGINA (i.e decreased blood supply to heart) cannot be totally ruled out. Mylanta is used for acidity, but it won’t be helpful for myocardial infarction.

Hence I strongly advise you to visit your physician, get all the blood reports. I usually get a ECG-electrocardiography for my patients with same symptoms.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answer kindly it and write a review as well.

Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Having nausea, tingling sensation hand and periodic spasmodic pains in chest after meal. Would Mylanta help? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your prompt response, Dr. XXXXXXX I most certainly appreciate it, as well as your advice. I had the same idea regarding the ECG when I was going in to see my doctor about a physical given that I have had these symptoms on and off for several weeks, almost always in the hours following a moderate to heavy meal or after a fasting period longer than 10 hours. When I mentioned this to my physician, she had asked whether the pain came and went with physical exertion as well. Admittedly, the day before, I was on the brink of being late to work and, without thinking, had sprinted on and off for almost ten minutes. Although I had been out of breath and certainly felt the pain in my legs, I had no accompanying chest pains. That said, my doctor recommended that I take Tums at the onset of symptoms. This worked for a few days, but lately, it hasn't helped nearly as much. Based off of this additional information, would you still recommend the ECG? What would you estimate my risk of MI/angina to be? Although I certainly am not opposed to having more comprehensive tests performed, my physician won't be available for an appointment again until late next month, and my insurance coverage doesn't kick in for a few more weeks. Hence, I'm afraid my only other option would be to report to an emergency room for treatment.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 52 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for asking follow-up question.

Though the previous symptoms are suggestive of acidity, but your present symptom is quite different, as you mentioned sharp stabbing pain left side of chest, tingling sensation that comes and goes in the distal portion of my left arm and hand. This is why I advised you to get a ECG done. Its better to rule out any changes in ECG, than to just take anti-acidity drugs. Though you are a young male, nowadays because of stress and other environmental factors angina is more commonly seen in younger age group. If the ECG is normal, I usually put my patients on H2-receptor antagonists like Ranitidine for 15-30days. Kindly consult your treating physician for prescription.

Meanwhile if you still have chest pain, take deep breaths, drink lot of water, avoid spicy and oily food, and don’t take heavy meals rather try frequent small meals, if you are overweight try reducing your weight. Kindly check you blood lipid profile reports and reduce your work stress.

Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW