Having nausea, stomach cramps and diarrhea. Stools ranges from normal to soft pellets. Cure?

I had nausea, vomiting and diarrhea 3 weeks ago for 1 day. I was tired and achy and it left my stomach feeling raw. It is now 3 weeks out and i still suffer with stomach irritation and passing stool several times but no diaarhea. I get bloating and cramps especially after i eat. My stool alternates between normal and little soft pellets. I have a hx of reflux and this sometimes also will feel like that
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

That feeling in the stomach could be because of gastritis. Antacids and proton pump inhibitors as prescribed by your doctor may help.

Do you have any blood or mucus in the stool. If so antibiotics after a stool examination by your doctor may be required to treat the infection.

Regarding the reflux problem you are having....

Do not lie down immediately after having a meal.
Try and reduce weight. (if you are over weight)
Maintain a sitting posture or standing posture after a meal.
Prokinetics and antacids as prescribed by your doctor may help.
Sleep in left lateral position.
Head end elevation of bed may help.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatric

Follow-up: Having nausea, stomach cramps and diarrhea. Stools ranges from normal to soft pellets. Cure? 12 minutes later
I am a 7 year primary liver cancer survivor and since i had my last mri exam in feb feel this is not the issue but understandably any stomach issues scare me. I had a stage1 encapsulated tumor removed back then. The bloating and the reflux are most annoying alomg with the discomfort when i eat usually worse in the evening. Tell me how long can this gastritis last and how long does it take the stomach to heal?
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Gastritis and stomach ulcers heal over a few days to few weeks depending on the damage to the stomach wall. Medications such as proton pump inhibitors or other antacids fasten the recovery process. That's why my suggestion to visit your doctor and start the drugs.

Besides the aforementioned medications, simple-less spicy-high fibre XXXXXXX diet and prokinetics can benefit you.

I understand your apprehension, but stay relaxed. Stress and anxiety can worsen bowel issues.

I hope this helps.