Having nausea and abdominal pain. CT scan showed enlarged appendix. Any thoughts?

Hi, I have been ill for almost 12 months. - nausea, generally low energy, abdominal bloating, and on several ocasions severe abdoninal pain/vomiting. After these episodes it takes 2 weeks to settle. Start feeling ok then wake up nauseas again the abdominal bloating, pain etc. This pattern goes on and on. I had a ct scan 2 weeks ago and it revealed an enlarged appendix. Is it possible I have an infected appendix all the time. CT scan showed no gall stones etc or intestinal compromise. Your thoughts please.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

An enlarged/inflamed appendix alone can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Infection of the appendix is not required to cause these symptoms. Symptoms of an inflamed appendix include: pain, vomiting, fever, nausea. Symptoms experienced once appendix becomes more severely swollen are: pain and tenderness in specific site in lower abdomen (right lower quadrant), pain radiating in the form of a belt all over the lower abdomen, etc.

The complication of an enlarged/swollen/inflamed appendix are: infection leading to peritonitis, gangrene, rupture, shock, etc.

Yes sir, if your appendix is inflamed/swollen, it can be this way till treated. You will have to approach a doctor for treatment. I would also like to ask if any endoscopic examinations were undertaken? If yes, what were the reports?

An enlarged/inflamed appendix is considered an emergency sir. Please visit your doctor and attain the required medical treatment for your condition.

I hope this information helps. If there is anything I have forgotten to address, do write back to me regarding this, and I shall gladly help you. Wishing you a speedy recovery sir.

Best wishes.