Having myoclonic jerks, pins and needles in legs and struggling to speak. Had hair loss in chunks. Done with tests. Advise?

Question
My 4yr old has been having whats believed to be myoclonic jerks for approx 3 (nearly 4 mths) recently she has been getting pins and needles in both legs and her speech is struggling at times like shes forgotten what words to say and shes had hair loss in chunks 3 times now. When she has these jerks she often grabs the back of her head and cries. She has had an EEG with no activity (although she didnt sleep) and all bloods and urine clear. Help please!
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. David Okia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
More investigation CT and MRI

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your question.

Sudden appearance of myoclonic jerks is concerning. Based on my experience with patients who have myoclonic jerks, I always do detailed investigations to find out the cause and treat. In addition to EEG, I do computer tomography and MRI to rule out any brain lesions, I also do liver and renal function tests, complete blood counts and screen for various infections that can affect nervous system like HIV, CMV, etc. Detailed history to rule out any history of birth trauma, poisoning, etc., would be essential. Besides that the role of familial condition also needs to be excluded.

I would encourage you to see neurologist and have above tests done. The test are the only source to identify the cause and manage your child.

Hope I answered your question. I will be happy to help you if you have other questions.

Follow-up: Having myoclonic jerks, pins and needles in legs and struggling to speak. Had hair loss in chunks. Done with tests. Advise? 42 minutes later
thanks for answering Dr Okia.
All bloods and urine were great. Unfortunately we dont know family history on her dads side so makes it complicated, at the moment we are simply keeping a diary as we have been from the start and have a paedatrician follow up in Oct. might talk to GP about getting CT and MRI, I was starting to become concerned that it may be a heart/circulatory problem because of pins and needles.
Her kindy teachers are concerned about her speech struggling. I will reply with the no of "myoclonic jerks" in a moment.

Answered by Dr. David Okia 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would rather see a neurologist if not for a pediatric neurologist for further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up question.

Myoclonic jerks is a normal condition in children. I would have not been bothered if there was no other symptoms and sudden rise in the number of jerks. Based on my experience, I would like to rule out neurological (brain) involvement and not circulatory system. The scans and other test will help the doctors provide clues about her neurological condition. Perhaps visiting the specialist and discussing her problem if your pediatrician also agrees.

Hope this helps. I will be happy to help you if you have other queries.

Follow-up: Having myoclonic jerks, pins and needles in legs and struggling to speak. Had hair loss in chunks. Done with tests. Advise? 1 hour later
Thank you again :)
Will see GP for a referral to Neurologist. I am in Australia and Im pretty sure I need to get a referral.

Answered by Dr. David Okia 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome...

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome...

Yes, you need referral from your GP.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion and review. I would appreciate if you can do that.

Wishing all the best...