Having muscle pain in joints and all over body with numbness. Experiencing paralysis. What could it be?

Nov 2013

Since age 15 I have muscle pains especially in my joints but now there all over my body which are now accompanied with numbness. (I am 18 years-old) For the last three weeks I havie been experiencing temporary paralysis of my body where I can only move my eyes. What could it be. I had lab work done and all tests were normal. I have also seen a rheumatologist and he did not find anything. I also saw an orthopedic. He did not find anything wrong with me.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort on account of your symptoms, and more so, as no specific cause for your symptoms have been identified.

In your case, the most likely cause for your symptoms could be a condition, called as hereditary liability to presure palsies (HLPP). In this condition, the nerves of arms, hands, legs and feet are sensitive to mechanical pressure, as what happens on sitting, sleeping, etc, which makes them dysfunctional for a while, after which a spontaneous recovery occurs.

I am assuming that tests including thyroid profile, serum potassium, neurological examination, and nerve conduction studies.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Having muscle pain in joints and all over body with numbness. Experiencing paralysis. What could it be? 32 hours later
Thank you for your response. If that were the case that I have HLPP, is there any treatment to cure it?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

If it is HLPP, then, it can not be cured, as most often, it has a genetic basis.
However, several treatments would help in improving the symptoms.
This includes use of vitamins such as B12, alpha lipoic acid, benfothiamine, etc.
For painful neuropathic symptoms, pregabalin or gabapentin would be useful.
Physiotherapy would also help in some cases. Also, it helps to avoid mechanical pressure on one body area for long.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)