Having mucus like discharge everyday. Is this normal?

Question
Hello I am 46 and past almost a year I have been having mucus like discharge everyday all day how do I stop
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Some amount of vaginal discharge is normal, there are glands that secrete a mucoid discharge that varies according to where a women is in her menstrual cycle.
At about day 14 of the cycle , when ovulation occurs there is an increase in secretions.

If the discharge is slightly yellow, with itching then it may be a yeast infection which can be treated with an over the counter anti fungal cream or ovules
If it is whitish gray with an odor then it may be due to bacterial vaginosis which is also treated with topical agents.

If there is a organism mixed with the mucus to cause a discharge, identification would require a swab to be done by your doctor.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Having mucus like discharge everyday. Is this normal? 16 hours later
I get regular white discharge not a lot but everyday and pretty much when ever I feel need to go bathroom and urinate i see that o hav discharged sometimes just sotting or standing i feel the discharge its not a lot but about the amount of a nickel it's disgusting to me how do I stop if I can its very uncomfortable sometimes it gets to the point where I discharge every two to three minutes thank u

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

You should consider using an over the counter anti fungal vaginal cream because if it is white , it is likely that a yeast infection is occuring along with the normal vaginal mucoid discharge.

Examples of over the counter medication would be monistat or clotrimazole or vagistat.

Feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Having mucus like discharge everyday. Is this normal? 23 minutes later
I hav used the creams off the counter and prescription no help anything else thank u

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Hi, there is oral medication available for vaginal yeast infections but in most places it requires a prescription from your doctor.
Diflucan is used for this reason and is highly effective, you can speak to your local pharmacist to see if a prescription is required.
If even with the diflucan you still have symptoms then your doctor may suggest a swab to determine if it is different organism.

Some women also find using yogurts with probiotics, cotton underwear to reduce the heat and sweating in the vaginal area, use of skirts instead of pants , to be helpful.

Feel free to ask any other questions