Having mucus in stool. Suggest the treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Hi I went to doctors last night because I have mucus in my poo, she felt around my belly and that was fine then she looked around the skin of my anus and that was fine, she said she couldn't do anything about the mucus. Just need a second opinion really because everything I have read says it indicates an irritable bowel.
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
It can indicate IBS and many other conditions( enterocolitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohns, coeliac, digestion abnormalty, liver,gallbladder and panceratic problems).
In most cases this is just sign of certain food that you took or mild enterocolitis.
Third most common cause in your age is IBS and this is something very common but there is no test which can confirm this so I dont think that further tests are necessary at this point. YOu should wait and see what happens in next few weeks, but start with dietary changes(eat more frequently but smaller meals, eat milk products, high fibre food, fruit, boiled meat and avoid alcohol, spicy and fatty food).
Also stress play an important role in IBS. IBS can be treated by certain medicines but i dont recommend it at this point too.
If there is persistant mucous or blood in stool then you ll need colonoscopy to rule out these diseases I ve mentioned at the beginning but you dont have to worry with that now until blood in stool occurs.
Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: Having mucus in stool. Suggest the treatment? 3 minutes later
The mucus is everytime i go toilet and its been going on for 2-3 years now. Never seen any blood though. So now you no how long its been going on what should i do?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
You need to do colonoscopy and stool analysis to rule out parasites and bacterial infection. Colonoscopy will reveal is there crohn, ulcerative colitis or something else.
Since there is no blood i doubt that this is polyp or tumor, but it is seen even in your age.
If you think that colonoscopy is too unpleasant than you can ask for irigography or ct scan instead of it.

Follow-up: Having mucus in stool. Suggest the treatment? 14 minutes later
Ok so if i wanted a ct scan or colonoscopy how would i go about getting that done? Also why ould my doctor say she cant do anything about it knowing its been going on for 2-3 years?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi.

Detailed Answer:
You need to visit specialist and tell him that you have mucous in stool for many years and that it is note improving. Tell him that you would like to rule out inflammatory bowel disease and prevent possible consequances. I think this is good enough reason for this test.
I dont know did you visit gp or gastroenterologist. GP cant do anything without diagnostic tests available. he can only use his fingers and inspection. It is not possible to see anything in anals canal or rectum without colonoscopy or rectoscopy.
Before anything you should do liver tests, food allergy tests and stool analysis. these are noninvasive tests which can clear some things and colonoscopy may not be necessary.

Follow-up: Having mucus in stool. Suggest the treatment? 12 minutes later
Specialist? Is this a gastroenterologist? Wouldnt even no where to start looking for 1 of those. Could i not get some ibs medication and hope that improves it?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, gastroenterologist. ask your go how to find him. every hospital should have gastroenterology department. Only he can prescribe such medicines, of course if this is IBS at all. But as I said such therapy isnt very succesfull. usually antispamodics, antidepressants and laxatives are used and it should be combined with psychotherapy since emotional stress is the main cause of IBS.

Follow-up: Having mucus in stool. Suggest the treatment? 4 minutes later
Ok thank you

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. If you don't have further questions you can close this query and give rate and review.wish you good health.