Having movable painful lumps in lower back. Starts hurting in spine. What is causing this pain and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, i have mobile painful lumps in lower back to the left and right side .I have this right side mobile lump for a like an year which wasnt painful .But now it starts hurting along with a new one formed exactly opposite to the other side of spine .The pain radiates to the space between them.what is causing the pain and cure for this.I can barely sit comfortably in any position.
Standing and walking makes it little better
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Mobile painful lumps in the lower back are likely to be due to a benign collection of fat cells called lipoma or paraspinal abscess. If it becomes infected, it becomes painful.
The pain radiating towards the center could be due to a spinal problem like muscle spasm, nerve root compression due to disc herniation, etc.
A detailed examination and investigations like MRI scan are needed to confirm the cause.
Right now you can start with mild pain killers like ibuprofen along with a hot fomentation for pain relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.