Having mild tightness in chest, arm and shoulder. Sign of heart attack?

i have got mild tightness in my chest and my right arm near the shoulder feels numb,i am 78 years of age could it be a sign of a heart attack?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 28 minutes later
Dear Sir,

1. If you are writing me this query in emergency, I mean you are having chest tightness and numbness of right shoulder right now, please visit emergency room (ER) and get yourself examined. Any kind of chest discomfort, in your age, which forced you to seek an opinion, can be cardiac or anginal. It must be evaluated properly.
2. If you are talking about a recurrent, non-acute problem, then I would like to know if this comes at rest or with exertion (like using stairs/ walking fast/ carrying weights etc.). If this comes on moving your shoulder? If it is associated with shortness of breath/ sweating/ nausea? How long it lasts? How you get relief? Do you have history of smoking/ diabetes/ previous heart disease? If you have cough/ fever associated with it?

Overall, if you are talking about a fresh acute problem, yes it can be heart related and you must visit ER. If it is a non-emergency query, I would like you to provide more details. I will be glad to discuss further.