Ask a Dentist   »  

Having mild sub mucous fibrosis. Treatment?

Hi.. I am having mild sub mucous fibrosis( white marks ) inside my mouth, Its on the left side GUM ,Had mild fibrosis few years back, however it has re occured since last one month. I had quit chewing tobacco since 2008, however i smoke ( which have reduced since last one month ).

I wanted to know the treatment... any ointment or vitamin/anti oxidant capsules to be taken to control this.

Please let me know the side effects of the medicine as well.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 47 minutes later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Oral sub mucous fibrosis is considered to be precancerous condition.

As you know it is caused due to strongly irritating spices, betel nut chewing and tobacco chewing.

This leads to stiffness of the oral mucosa and causing trismus and difficulty in eating and swallowing.

Its treatment mainly is intra-lesional hydro-cortisone or systemic hydro cortisone. This doesn't have many side effects.

Please take care that it does not progress, as it is a precancerous condition.

Let me know for further query.

Follow-up: Having mild sub mucous fibrosis. Treatment? 18 minutes later
Thank You Ma'am. Few questions, seek your help.

1) Is the medication suggested by you is an " Ointment " which can be applied over the effected area or it's to be injected
2) Have heard we are supposed to take Vitamin/Iron Supplements etc or Anti Oxidants.. Please suggest options around this if these are required for healing
3) Will smoking aggrevate the disease as i dont take any pan masala etc tobacco stuff since few years
4) Also, i take alcohol ocassionaly... Please suggest if this will further add to the problem as well

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for reply.

In answer to your first query i would like to explain you that hydrocortisone injection is given at the site of fibrosis,called as intralesional injection.

Secondly multivitamins always helps in meeting the requirements of micro nutrients required in the body,so you can take them.Antioxidents are also helpful as it maintains normal functioning of body.

Thirdly tobacco in any form is injurious in this condition ,so i would say please quit smoking that delays healing by decreasing the vascularity of the tissues.

And occasional alcohol can be taken but please avoid in regular basis.

Hope i have answered you.

Please let me know for further query.

Follow-up: Having mild sub mucous fibrosis. Treatment? 38 hours later
Thank you madam for your revert.. I have my last few questions, request your inputs..

1) Please suggest if there is any OINTMENT available to be applied over the effective area which would help control the damage, till the time i dont take this injection

2) Also.. please tell me which multivitamins/anti oxidants to be taken ( name of tablet/capsule )

And Yes.. I have quit smoking.,.. Thanks for your advice.

Dear friend.

Thanks for follow up.

You can apply ointment triamcinolone 1% once in night, this will help you until you visit your oral surgeon.

You can also take capsule A to Z daily one capsule (Multivitamin and anti oxidants).

It is good to know that you have quit smoking.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having mild sub mucous fibrosis. Treatment? 4 hours later
Thank You Ma'am.. One last question before i close this discussion.

Please let me know if the ointment triamcinolone 1% has any side effects/burning sensation etc when applied over the effected area.. as i want to try this for few days before i visit any dental surgeon. Please let me know if you know some good dental expert in Gurgaon .. That will be an extended help..

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 35 minutes later
Dear Friend.

Thanks for follow up.

Ointment triamcinolone 1% has no side effects/burning sensation , when applied over the affected area.

As i have no personnel references in Gurgaon, you search from this link, WWW.WWWW.WW
For further query let me know.