Having mild pain in lower arm. Is this a heart related problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This morning I started getting shooting / dull pain in my lower left arm. It almost feels like it is in my middle finger, but the pain runs along the side of my arm by the pinkie finger. It is an on and off pain. What do you thin this could be? Should I be worried that it is heart related? Thanks so much
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The mild aching pain on the medial side of your arm without any breathlessness, sweating or chest pain is not likely to be related to the cardiac issues. This is more likely to be a muscular pain due to overuse.
Most of the times such minor pains are self limiting and they improve on adequate rest and mild pain killers.
You can self monitor yourself for next 2-3 days for the pain to reduce spontaneously. Take motrin thrice daily after meals for relief.
Avoid any overhead activities or lifting any heavy weights.
In case the pain is persistent then do consult your orthopedician for stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having mild pain in lower arm. Is this a heart related problem? 11 hours later
I am concerned bc I have not done anything to over exert myself. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If there is no history of exertion then a nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine is likely. If the mild pain killers and rest is not providing the adequate relief then consider visiting an orthopedician for proper evaluation. A cardiac cause is least likely.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.