Having mild pain in hip and tingling sensation in foot. Diagnosed with bursitis. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I have had hip pain only in my right hip for some time now. It only happens when I stand for long periods or a combination of walking and standing. Sometimes there is a little tingling that goes to my foot, but not always. I can run with no problems or walk without standing with no problems but either standing or standing with walking is a dull pain that forces me to sit. Sitting for 5 minutes will allow me to stand for another 15-20 minutes or longer without pain. I have a had a doctor look at my x-ray and tell me I do not have osteo arthritis and have plenty of cartilage, yet he also ruled out bursitis. I have been told it's my feet (I do pronate) or my mattress or sciatica (my back feels fine) and don't know which way to turn. I tried a little physical therapy with no results. If your suggestion is a mattress or foot related please tell me exactly what mattress or foot supports to get. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
the pain in the hip with tingling till the foot is likely to be related to spinal cord or a positional anomaly. It is due to muscle spasm caused due to improper stretching of back muscles due to faulty posture while sleeping or wrong work posture as well.

Ideally, you need to visit a physiotherapist for a couple of sessions and also take any good muscle relaxant drug along with application of topical local analgesic spray/ointment for relief. Even hot fomentation will help in reducing/eliminating the pain.
One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a MRI of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician.
You must use a coir-foam mattress for resting and give it ample time to set in. It takes some time to do so and one should not expect immediate relief. Even the sleeping position matters, so avoid sleeping on sides and stomach in case you do. While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks. Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. Also discontinue any strenuous activity or exercises for some time.
It might help with few medications and physiotherapy for a few days. Physiotherapy particularly lumbar traction for a week and back strengthening exercises after pain relief work well.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.