Having mild pain in chest, needles in arm and missing heart beat. ECG done. What is the problem?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
I have a lot of missed heart beats (between 1-4 in 10 ) I hear this through doppler, Ive had 2 ecg in a&E ( ER ) and the doctors say its not a big deal since it happens at rest, ive have mild chest pain for 3 days, and pins and needles in left arm, they say they thing its pericarditus, but does this explain all the missed beats, also the beat after the missed beat sometimes comes with a spike of pain.

I do drink some coffee, although i've stopped for 3 days now, was 1 venti starbucks a day so about 3xexpresso shots.
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
A normal heart beats for about 100,000 times a day (72x60x24). Normally about 1-2 % of times that is 1-2000 times heart can skip a beat. Fortuitously, if EKG, recorded at that time, shows that or you feel about it is not abnormal provided:

1. There is no structral disease in heart as your doctor must have ensured by examination of your heart thoroughly.

2. There is no functional heart disease like heart failure which the doctor had seen.

3. Those skipped beats (ectopics as they are termed of benign nature as read on EKG by the specialist).

You have done the right thing by modifying your coffee intake. If you are still troubled much you can see a cardiologist who would do an echocardiography examination if needed and probably a Holter Examination after seeing your profile. Personally, I feel your primary doctor is right; one thing you can do is upload your EKG on healthcare magic so that I can also have look to confirm. Good Luck.
I am not convinced about pericarditis story, that calls for a second opinion in any case.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Having mild pain in chest, needles in arm and missing heart beat. ECG done. What is the problem? 28 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

I regarding the missed beats, I estimate that its between 10 and 30% of the beats that are missed, sometimes as much as ever other beat.

I have an audio doppler at home ( we had it to listen to our baby some years ago) so I could email you an audio recording, and listening to the beat it really sounds very irregular.

I have not seen a cardiologist thus far, however I was seen by an A&E consultant, who performed an echo, and said it looked ok, he was the one that suggested the pericarditis.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 59 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
For accurate estimation of seriousness (which I personally do not think it is you can have my email address YYYY@YYYY ) you have to see a cardiologist who would get an echocardiographic and Doppler examination as well as Holter examination done under his/her supervision. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover

Follow-up: Having mild pain in chest, needles in arm and missing heart beat. ECG done. What is the problem? 4 hours later
Thanks, I am arranging a visit to a cardiologist in any case, I just wanted to satisfy myself if a professional like your yourself considers this to sound normal, or to warrant investigation.. I will mail you the file now. Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 10 hours later
Thanks for writing back and enclosing audio.
The audio reveals that regular rhythm is interrupted by irregular premature beats. Now that is arrhythmia it can be due to several benign causes. A simultaneous EKG which your doctor could have seen would have revealed that it could be due to premature supraventricular or ventricular complex. In any case it can be confirmed by going ahead with your appointment.

Of course, it warrants further evaluation. No one can dismiss it per se.
Good Luck.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover