Having mild hepatomegaly with fatty liver. Treatments and diet?

Question
iam facing mild hepatomegaly with fatty liver .what is treatements and dieat
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I have read your query, and before going to the treatment we will first have to understand that the treatment for fatty liver causing mild hepatomegaly depends on the cause. We will have to first find the cause for this and then treat it. The causes are:
-Alcohol
-Obesity
-Diet (fatty, XXXXXXX oily, etc.)
-Excessive iron in your diet and body
-Medication
-Malnutrition
-Viral hepatitis
-Rapid weight loss
-Inherited diseases

As listed above, these causes are all very different. If we control the cause, we can help control and treat the fatty liver.

Generalized treatment advise would include:
-Increased amount of physical activity (more exercise)
-Decrease the amount of oil, fatty food, meat, sugar, etc.
-If obese (work on losing weight)
-Routine blood work to rule out excessive iron, lipid profile and other diseases that can cause a fatty liver
-Meet a nutritionist who can advise you on a healthy diet and what weight you need to achieve or maintain

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Having mild hepatomegaly with fatty liver. Treatments and diet? 25 hours later
any medicine for using decrease mild hepaatomagly with fatty liver

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Hello once again.

Unfortunately there is no specific medication or surgery to treat fatty liver. The treatment completely depends on the underlying cause, which is why I listed the causes in my previous response.

Some of the general treatment options include:
-Weight reduction
-Control of blood sugar level (if patient is diabetic)
-Lipid lowering medication (that will prevent further deposition of fat on the liver)
-Vitamins
-Discontinuing medication that could be causing fatty liver

Finding the cause is considered the main aim of treating fatty liver.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Having mild hepatomegaly with fatty liver. Treatments and diet? 1 hour later
any continues check up needed ,like scan blood test etc

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Hello once again.

A follow up scan is advised once every 6 months, to observe any progression of disease or look for any improvement/regression (a very gradual process, takes years for resolution, usually very rarely seen).

The only blood tests advised would be in accordance to the causes or risk factors. They are lipid-profile, blood glucose profile, etc.

I hope you have found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.