Having mild heaviness at the back of head due to cervical issue. Is there any permanent solution?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Dear Dr , I have a mild case of heaviness at the back of my head due to cervical issue ( probably because of computer /posture). I have shown to various docs including neuro surgeons but what they give is analgesics . I dont have any pain per se but seems like a pinched nerve on the neck causing this heaviness as there might be blood flow issues due to bones pressing on a particular nerve . Its discomforting and I do physiotherapy excersise 3 times a day and am watchful on the posture and computer time .

Is there a permanent solution other than some analgesics / surgery . When i speak or present as part of my job the heaviness come back to haunt . its reduced after 2 months of physio streching excersises and nerve stimulation but its not completetly going . Please advise as am not sure whether to approach a orthopedic or a neurologist . Am a prefectly healthy married man with no vices
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for posting your query.

I appreciate you for understanding your condition.What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course. It is somehow not so uncommon now in younger population and we like to call it industrial neck pain, since its prediliction towards people working in computer related industry.

It can be caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting or lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation.

If it has been persistent or even increasing since few days, you need to visit your Orthopaedician. Depending upon the clinical findings they might ask you to get an MRI done, which shall help establish a diagnosis and in turn allow one to formulate a treatment plan.

Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your doctor prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics).

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Having mild heaviness at the back of head due to cervical issue. Is there any permanent solution? 38 minutes later
Thank you doctor . Can u kindly refer me to an experienced competent orthoepaedic in mumbai.I stay in western suburbs of mumbai

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

I would like to refer you to Doctor XXXXXXX Mullaji
101 Cornelian , Cumbala Hill ,
Kemps Corner , Mumbai: 0000
Tel. No.0000

He is well experienced, competant and eminent orthopaedician in Mumbai.

Hope this will help you.Let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Having mild heaviness at the back of head due to cervical issue. Is there any permanent solution? 3 hours later
Dear Dr , Just one more query . I saw up Dr XXXXXXX Mullaji ...he seems to be a specialist in joint replacement issues . Does the nerve problem i have fall under his domain ? kindly clarify . What is difference of advice one can get from an orthoepad vis a vis a neurologist /neurosurgeon . If you can just explain it will be mighty helpful .

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 13 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

First of all I want to say that don't become very apprehensive or confusing in choosing a doctor.As I had said it is not a very serious condition and it is self limiting one.In this matter there is no any difference to see an orthopaed or neurologist.
Basically you need a some lifestyle modification and good physiotherapy under guidence of your doctor. So go to a nearby good orthopaedist or neurologist.

I hope that clears your doubts.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon

Follow-up: Having mild heaviness at the back of head due to cervical issue. Is there any permanent solution? 4 hours later

Dear Dr XXXXXXX .

This is what Mr Mullaji replied .

'Sorry I'm a knee specialist and suggest you consult a spinal or neuro- surgeon'

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query

Do not worry,follow the advice given and go for physiotherapy (cervical isometric exercises) under guidence of your doctor.

Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon