Having mild hearing loss and ear ache. Advice?

ENT Specialist
I had an ear ache last week and now i seem to have slight hearing loss though the pain is gone.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
The earache followed by reduced hearing could be either due to the presence of wax in the external auditory canal or blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).
In the case of wax in the ear, usually the pain is noticed when the wax swells up on exposure to moisture or water and causes pressure over the skin of the external auditory canal and thus pain. Once the swelling comes down there still seems to be ear block due to presence of wax in the canal which obstructs the sound waves from reaching the ear drum.
The second possibility is that of blockage of the Eustachian tube; acute pain is noticed during sudden blockage of this tube usually following an attack of flu or when travelling by flight. Once the inflammation of the tube settles down, there is still an accumulation of the middle ear fluid which fails to get cleared due to the blockage of the Eustachian tube. The presence of fluid also reduces the movement of the eardrum causing blockage of the ear.
The exact cause can be found out only after a thorough examination of the ear. The treatment would depend upon the cause.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon