Having mild cold and painful blocked ear. Took combiflam. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist

I am having mild cold. Last night while sleeping, my ear got blocked and now its paining a lot. I took a combiflam in the morning to relieve pain and it was fine after that. But now again its paining and left ear is still blocked.
Please let me know what can I take to get a relief.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 50 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your clinical history and I am suspecting that your cold has given rise to infection in ear through eustachian tube (tubular connection between ear and throat) - thus infected fluid may now be collected in your middle ear and with your eustachian tube blocked - therefore increase tension of fluid in middle ear giving rise to shooting pain in your ear. This is called as acute otitis media.

You are advice to go for these investigations-
(1) C.T.scan of paranasal sinuses.
(2) Culture and sensitivity of nasal discharge.
(3) Blood - CBC, ESR, blood sugar - fasting and post prandial.
(4) Impedance Audiometery.

After these investigations need to be clinically co-related to establish the correct diagnosis. A specific treatment plan can be formulated accordingly. Till the above formalities are being done, you may take analgesic like paracetamol, and steam inhalation. Please don't use any ear drop.

I hope this will help you. Let me know if you have need clarifications.

With Regards