Having mild chest pain while coughing or breathing. Using asthalin inhaler. Any advice?

Jun 2015

Hi I am having mild chest pain at right side since yesterday, when i cough or take a breathe its little more sharp else its bearable. I am 31 yrs old. Due to wheezing I am taking Asthalin inhaler (Salbutamol) 10 times a day. Also advise whether Bangalore climate is suitable for me. Please advise.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 56 minutes later

A. Wheezing is caused due to broncho-constriction (obstruction of smaller airway passages) which is indicative of Hyper-responsiveness of air passages (seasonal allergy or asthma)

Management consists of:

1. Asthalin inhaler- provide symptomatic relief by causing broncho-dilation (dilating the smaller airway passages, relieving the obstruction & increasing airflow to lungs)
So, you can use it whenever you are having an acute attack.

2. Montelukast preparations- used as a maintenance therapy to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergies & asthma.

3. Antihistamines can also be used to provide symptomatic relief.

4. Protect yourself from exposure to cold, dust or other allergens.

Presence of pain during coughing or XXXXXXX breathing can be attributed to either fatigue of respiratory muscles due to labored breathing or due to infection.
Investigation like X XXXXXXX of the chest will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Pulmonologist & get a proper physical examination done.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

B. Climate-wise Bangalore is a very nice place.
However, one thing you need to be concern about is the traffic & pollution in certain areas of the city with heavy traffic.
But, there is no need to worry.
It can be taken care of by using a face mask while traveling through those areas.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.