Having metallic taste in mouth, abdominal and flank pain. Found kidney cyst. Worrisome

I have been having right flank pain and pain in right abdomen. I also have a metalic taste and breath and metalic smelling urine. An ultrasound found multiple follicles in right ovary and biggest one 1.1cm in right kidney. I also have a spot on my right breast that we are monitoring. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Kidney cysts can be classified as simple or complex. Simple cyst are common and are not usually associated with any problems or affect the function of the kidney. In some cases they can occasionally present with pain.One in 4 persons over 40 and one out of 2 persons over 50 have simple kidney cysts.A single 1.1 cm cyst would not normally cause kidney failure , remember that persons exist with one single kidney or donate one of their kidneys to another person.
A radiologist looks at the structure and appearance of the cyst to determine whether it is simple or complex.
If your doctor indicated that the cyst was simple he or she would have suggested annual monitoring to check the size.

Normally malodorous urine is indicative of infection, though it may indicate other renal problems. Flank pain can also occur in kidney infection. Other symptoms would be passing urine frequently and discomfort on urination.
You should consider visiting your doctor who will do a urine analysis. He or she may also do blood tests to check kidney function, this would be a creatinine level.
He would may also check the urine for protein.

If an infection is present then you will require antibiotics,

In persons who have multiple cysts, this cysts can affect the function of the kidney and led to problems but you stated only one was seen in your imaging test.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Having metallic taste in mouth, abdominal and flank pain. Found kidney cyst. Worrisome 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. I have had this "follicle" for over a year now and the pain. No infection shows up. I keep going to the GYN thinking I have a UTI and it comes back negative. Not sure where to go from here.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Since the pain is in the abdomen , you can consider asking your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterologist who would be better able to identify any causes for your abdominal discomfort.He or she may consider additional tests that may provide you with a diagnosis.

Please feel free to ask anything else