Having menstrual irregularities. Should I be concerned?

Dec 2012

For the last 2 months my periods have been very light almost considering spotting. I have them for about 2 weeks or less and then they stop but start again anywhere from 2 weeks to 18 days. I am too scared to go to doctor I have panic and angziety. Should I be concerned I have never had any problems.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Premenopause syndrome can explain this Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your health query, I do not think you should worry much in regards to this since you are fast approaching menopause with age 48. Most women start experiencing premenopausal syndrome from about 45 years and achieve menopause at around 50 years. When a woman start experiencing menstrual irregularities at your age, premenopause is the most likely culprit. Then if you are sexually active, it will be wise to exclude pregnancy and your gynecologist may go further to investigate if there are any other pelvic diseases conditions. I am sorry about the fact that you are hypochondriac, but be rest assured that your condition must not necessary mean that there is something worst going. I often have my patients confront me with the question of whether or not they might be having a uterine or cervical cancer etc but you should know that if that is the reason for your panic/anxiety, then you should be calm and gather some courage so a doctor can actually take a look at your situation. If it is something serious, that should be handled early enough before the situation might get worst. Hope this helps and please feel free to write back for further questions. Dr. Nsah