Having memory trouble. Suggest medication?

Hi my father is having trouble with his there any medication he can take for it...he is 67 yrs old with heart disease.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there are medication; however it depends on the cause...

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

There are a variety of drugs like tacrine, rivastigmine, galantamine and donepezil etc. which can be used for preservation of memory and preventing further deterioration. However they are used after the type and cause of memory impairment is established. We have few types like senile dementia (age related), Alzheimer, lewi body dementia and so on. While there are few other brought on by preexisting medical problems - vascular abnormalities, systemic disease and so on.

It is important that the cause and type of dementia is established. Therefore I will suggest you to consult a neurologist for this as the cause for memeory loss needs to be determined before starting any medication . A MMSE will be done to evaluate for the cognitive dysfunction. If needed MRI Brain will be required for the purpose. Supportive psychotherapy is also required for such patients .

In my opinion you should seek the advise of a neurologist as personal questions and cognitive assessment will be required to identify the cause. Medicine can be suggested accordingly.

Dr. Shruti