Having medium hiatus hernia. Concerned about the teeth damage due to acid reflux

I have a question about hiatal hernia and teeth damage.

I have a medium hiatal hernia; and sometimes it feels really bad and I burp after eating because my stomach feels full and stuck. But I don't really get acid through the troat and I don't feel any burning sensation i my mouth ?

Im afraid of acid and afraid of if it will damage my teeth.

If I don't feel it in my mouth or feel it in my throut; could I feel safe that my ph is normal?

sincerely XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 6 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
Teeth damage secondary to reflux is uncommon and is seen with a severe reflux ususally associated with throat discomfort. It occurs more commonly with children - the milk teeth than the permanent teeth.
Not all hiatus hernia are associated with reflux. If you are worried then you can go for an Impedence pHmetry testing.
Meanwhile do some diaphragm strentheneing exercises as a strong disphragm reinforces the lower esophageal sphincter and may aid to reduce the reflux. Also have the head end of the bed elevated by around 10cms and donot lie down for atleast 90mins post meal