Having mechanical mitral valve and diarrhoea. Red and purple spots in neck. Taking medication. Done with CT scan. Advise?

Gastroenterologist
Question
good evening. i have a mechanical mitral valve. dec 26th last year. about three months ago i developed urgent diahhrea, it would hit once a day and very urgent. no other stools during the day. under control with Cholestyramine.
i also have flushing in my neck every day. red with purple spots. this does clear up and come back all the time. maybe two years on the flushing. other drugs i take are Sotalol,lisinopril,coumadin,dexilant for Barretts which is doing well as of last check. i had a ct scan with contrast and a 24 hour urine test for 5-hiaa. looking for Carcinoid syndrome. no restictions on the food or meds during the test but i did eat items and drugs that effect the test. the test came back negative with a 2. should i be pushing more for an answer ? i believe they are thinking IBS at this point. doesn't explain the neck. i just would like a little guidance please
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suspect it to be carcinoid syndrome only.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

I suspect it to be carcinoid syndrome only. 24 hours urine HIAA has got only 25% sensitivity, that is, it will pick only 25% cases among 100 cases. So I will advise you to visit a gastroenterologist who may ask you to get Radionucleotide scanning and CT scan of abdomen

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Having mechanical mitral valve and diarrhoea. Red and purple spots in neck. Taking medication. Done with CT scan. Advise? 44 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
thank you so much ! i did have an appointment with my regular doctor and i got him interested in more tests so we can make sure we arent dealing with Carcinoid syndrome and can move forward if i do. he will work with my Gastroenterologist im sure on this matter. thank you again for helping me to decide to go back for a second look. i understand a Carcinoid tumor is rare but my symtoms are sure persistant. Thank you again very much.
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
hello! Hope you will get well soon.

Detailed Answer:
hello! Hope you will get well soon.