Having major bleeding after hitting the face to the wall. Had nose swelling and bruise. Feels stuffy. Suggestions?

ENT Specialist
Question
Three weeks ago, I fell down the hole of my crawl space and hit my face on the edge of the foundation. I had major bleeding out of my nose. I still have lots of snot and it hurts bad to blow my nose. the bottom of my nose (not the tip) hurt when I move my nose side to side. It's like the top of the inside of my lip where it meets my nose. It did bruise the inside of my lip and I also had nose swelling on the bridge of nose. The right bone under my eye is still yellow too and very sensitive. My nose gets very stuffy when I don't take cold medicine and it hurts when pain meds wear off....any suggestions?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly seek medical attention.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. You must get an ENT examination done as it may not be possible for you to gauge the exact extent of your injuries.

2. Since there is still pain after three weeks, it is better to get a direct examination. X-rays will help rule out any underlying fracture. The nose and the underside of the upper lip can be checked. Your eye movements and sinus tenderness can be evaluated.

3. The nose can bleed profusely after an injury. This is common. However, the persistence of nasal secretions and stuffiness may indicate an infection.

4. Medication may include antibiotics, anti-inflammatory , anti-allergic, mucolytic, decongestants, steroids, hot fomentation and so on. These medications will ease your symptoms till healing takes place.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having major bleeding after hitting the face to the wall. Had nose swelling and bruise. Feels stuffy. Suggestions? 3 minutes later
thank you. I don't have insurance though. I know some king soopers in my area have little clinics in them, but I know they can't do xrays. It will cost me a fortune to go to a doc without insurance. do you think I have a fracture? How long does it normally take for a nose to heal?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Most acute injuries should heal in 4 to 6 weeks. You may wait a couple of weeks.

2. You may try OTC medications matching the ones mentioned above.

3. If you are better by then, you need not follow this up with a medical specialist. Delaying medical attention beyond this if there are still symptoms may do more harm than good.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having major bleeding after hitting the face to the wall. Had nose swelling and bruise. Feels stuffy. Suggestions? 2 minutes later
do you think I have a fracture though since my teeth hurt as well? My two front teeth all the way to molars hurt when my medicine wears off. If I did get an xray, what would be done though for treatment?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you can mange the X-rays, it will settle the issue.

2. If there is no fracture, simple OTC medications will suffice.

3. If there is an un-displaced fracture not extending into the dental roots, nasal cavity or sinuses, there is no active treatment besides the above. Calcium and Vitamin D supplements may help.

4. Any other fracture or injury must be treated at a medical facility. Have you had a tetanus immunization?

Regards.